Thursday, November 29, 2012

Basic Human Rights


   So I think of marriage as a basic human right that anyone should be able to engage in, unfortunately this is not the case.  Most people always focus on the couple but the truth is that it is not just the couple that is affected by the choice of marriage, this became a reality to me just recently.  This cartoon is a reenactment of something that just took place in my life, and if it wasn't for my parnters two kids being so vocal about their thoughts and feelings, I wouldn't have realized how our lack of right to marry affects them (MY KIDS).  The choice to Vote NO this fall wasn't just about marrying the love of my life but showing the kids that I acknowledge their love and support for our FAMILY.

3 comments:

  1. The cartoon is clever. This issue is personal to me because my aunt has a partner and two kids. Until this recent election i didn't know that she would not have custody of their kids if Mave (the kids mom, her partner) were to become tragically ill or die. Which is not fair because she has been a part of their lives just as much as a husband would be, and to take that away just because they legally can't marry is heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely done. Very creative and a good topic to use. The Vote NO was so important to many people and it was great to know how the election turned out not only here, but also in the other states that legalized equal marriage. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was amazing and I am so happy you stood up for the children. This was brilliant. Question? Did you get any negative feedback from the surrounding "VOTE YES" neighbors?

    ReplyDelete