Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Challenging Black sexual Normativity

This photo challenges the stereotypical black hyper masculinity that is mostly represented in the media. As a gay man myself, I find it repulsive that the media sometimes portray black men as hyper masculine sexual beings ready to satisfy their greedy desires on either white women or white men. These images blind viewers of the different sub groups within the black community. What makes it alarming is how invisible black gay men are represented in this illusion of blackness.

This image speaks to the invisibility of black gay men within the hyper masculine sexual bodies that the media represents. This image brings light to black gay men within the black community and the romantic relationships that some of them have.  Even though black gay men are mostly portrayed as criminals, sexual predators and hypersexual, I want you to know that, black gay men are forming true and strong family orientated relationships that are not represented in popular culture.


6 comments:

  1. This is very, very well done. The photo itself is gorgeous, and the proceeding summary is very touching.

    I literally can't critique this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post proves that the world is no where near perfect, and the queer community has a long way to go. This is beautiful and I stand with you. As a queer woman I walk around campus holding my partners hand, fully knowing it is easier for me to do so than some of the other community members who stand with me. I understand the reality you are faced with, but know that I would gladly walk beside you smiling and holding my head high. You have at least two supporters out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great picture Jimmy, the picture really does have a million words. Your explanation is insightful and eye opening. You make great points, and your confidence about your beliefs shows through your writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jessica, this issue really means a lot to me. Black men and black gay men are human beings just like everyone else, we have different sides to us. I really felt this needed to be acknowledged.

      Delete
  4. This is so perfect. It is an amazing idea to show different sides of black men and gay men and black gay men. When black men are portrayed they are often hyper-masculine, but when gay black men are shown they are often represented as hyper-homosexual. A lot of black gay men on t.v. are super feminine, big characters, and very sexualized. More people need to see images like this, everyday people being everyday people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didnt really get the picute at first but Now I love it. I love what you had to say about Gay Black Males. I agree with you I do think they are under represented and the gay black male that is represented is a false advertizment of black gay men.

    ReplyDelete