Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Not All Women College Athletes Are Lesbians

In college women athletics there is a very prevalent stereotype. This stereotype is projected at the women athletes that have more masculine characteristics and traits. People think these athletes are homosexuals because of their masculine attributes and carry this stereotype out on all college women athletes. But in reality this stereotype is incorrect. College women athletes are mostly all heterosexuals. On average there are only 2 homosexual's out of 25 females on each women's sports team. But even though there is only one or two homosexuals on a team people from the outside look at these teams as all homosexuals and this really grinds some people gears. This photo I am posting is to challenge the stereotype on college women athletes. In this photo is one of my fellow teammates and her boyfriend.  They have been dating for over a year and are very happy together. I just want people to know even though there is this stereotype out there that not every college women athlete is gay. I personally have nothing against these homosexuals and want everyone reading this blog to know that. I would just really like people to understand that this stereotype is very misleading and does not relate to all women college athletes.

7 comments:

  1. I love the concept of this photo! I was a softball player for 11 years and when people would ask me if I played any sports, I would say softball and I would always get weird looks! They automatically assume just because I played softball, that meant that I was a lesbian! People assume way too much. Very untrue stereotype!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good points about a ridiculous stereotype. Also good job at backing up your view with facts. I did not know that this misconception was so prevelant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice picture! The women in sports stereotype is so common! I know so many girls who play "boy" sports and are considered lesbian because of it. I love how you put the picture together, it clearly shows that you can be a woman athlete without being considered lesbian.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When a women says she plays a sport, such as softball, in college she should not be judged on her sexuality. Instead people should be wondering how she is able to manage school, friends, work, and the demands of playing a college sport. Sexuality has nothing to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This makes me think of how men are stereotyped as gay if they like musicals, theater and dance. I agree with the stats it really puts it into perspective how often these stereotypes are used.

    ReplyDelete
  6. While I really like what the base-line message is here (don't judge a book by it's cover or some such), I think there is a hint of something else. I very well could be imagining it, but I just have exactly one question:

    What's so wrong with being thought of as a lesbian?

    The initial stereotype aside, I can completely understand how frustrating it is to have your own sexuality predefined for you. With that being said, I don't think you realize that's EXACTLY what happens to most LGBT members. Heteronormativity, which is what our society runs off of, basically means that everyone's sexuality is automatically assumed to be heterosexual. It's why LGBT members have to 'Come- Out.'

    So, I guess my point is that one, I completely understand how you feel, and two, you have to realize that many people deal with the same problem on a daily basis, all of their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rachel- As I previously stated before, I have nothing wrong with lesbians, or women choosing to be lesbian. It just was to show that women athletes should not even be questioned on their sexuality due to playing a sport. Sexuality has nothing to do with it. I personally think Jessica made the perfect point. When you announce you are in a college sport, people should be more worried about your academics and less worried about the gender you are 'in to.' Same goes for let's say, men in theater, that I have also heard gets blows for them possibly being "gay." Why should we care?

    ReplyDelete