Wednesday, November 28, 2012

The Lesbians.

In my picture, there are two women with rugby clothes on. These two women play rugby, and are best friends. This photo addresses the issue of rugby women, and their obstacles with judgmental people. These people automatically assume that these two are lesbians. The stereotype that rugby women are lesbians is very harmful. It's frustrating for these rugby women to always have others assuming their sexuality. These two girls are both straight, and they have had their share of ridicule. The blonde girl in the photo is my roommate, and I've heard her stories. She was my inspiration for this project. The stereotype of rugby women being lesbians should stop. Yes, there are lesbians that play rugby. There are also lesbians who play soccer, basketball, softball, hockey, and tennis. All women, that are straight or not, play sports. One sport should not be singled out as the "lesbians".

3 comments:

  1. Great topic. I know from personal experience how this goes. I was on the rugby team for years and one of my really good friends was a lesbian and because we were on the rugby team and spent time together, we were obviously together. This stereotype is ridiculous and I don't understand how people can label a sport as a "lesbian sport" because it is a more "masculine" sport.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a great photo and topic because I shamely admit that I was one of those people who thought that about rugby women players. I just thought what women in her right mind would want to play such a rough sport. I thought women where to pretty to play rugby. Now I know you can be pretty and tough to. Great Job!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate how this is a stereotype! How can someone's sexual orientation can be judged on what sport they play? You did a great job with this picture. I even know of women who played softball being bullied because of their assumed sexual orientation which is flat out rediculous!

    ReplyDelete