Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Gender Roles



As kids, many of us are taught what is and isn't acceptable behavior regarding gender. There is this misconception that men must grow up to be strong and masculine, while women need to be passive and feminine. In this photo, traditional gender roles are challenged, showing a girl playing with a bulldozer, while a boy is holding a doll. In order to counter act these naive and stereotypical views, we must start at the roots, being childhood. The baby girl is clearly happy playing with her toy, while the young boy doesn't look quite as thrilled with his. This indicates how gender roles are a learned behavior, seeing that a baby hasn't been nearly as exposed to this, while a 7 year old has. Through parents teachings of androgynous behaviors, it is possible to break away from this traditionally gender biased way of life.

6 comments:

  1. I think this photo really illustrates how children should be brought up now a days- without expected rolls to play and statuses to uphold. I know that when I was a kid I had no problem playing in the mud with the boys and their tonka trucks one minute, and then ditching them to go play with some of the girls in their playhouses. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This photo shows your topic really well! I think that kids most likely would not have any issues playing with any type of toy, society just shapes kids to think what girls and boys should play with. I have babysat many children, most of whom have siblings of the other sex and it never fails, they like to play with their brother's or sister's toys. A child's sex should not determine the types of toys that child plays with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally loved playing with my brothers, Ninja Turtles, G.I. Joes and He-Man toys. He would even play with my barbies and dress them up but when his friends came over it was all about putting ken dolls in car and crashing them into each others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was younger all my mom bought me and my two sisters were barbie dolls the closet thing we had to a male toy was either ken or else we maybe had some legos. I think its funny how early in life were introduced to our gender roles. If our parents were to buy me toy cars and action figures early in life would I have accepted them

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think children shouldn't be told what the role of their gender is. I have a little brother who loves playing with the toys for boys but once in a while he likes to play with girl toys too. Which is perfectly fine. I think they should start to learn early how to do both gender roles. It will make them more successful in life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your topic because when I was younger I always wanted to play cars with my brother but when I was at my grandmothers house she would always take them away from me and say that those were boys toys go play with your dollies. I never understood why everyone else didn't care what I played with but the second I go to my grandmothers house it was "NO!". I think that is why I like to play all of the racing video games now because my grandmother cant tell me no anymore.

    ReplyDelete