Thursday, November 29, 2012

I Love the Skin I'm In!

Colorism has become an issue in the music industry, modeling, and job opportunities. Colorism is a practice of discrimination by which those with lighter skin are treated more favorably than those with darker skin. We face this problem everyday but rarely talk about it. Colorism has become a norm that we have learn to except. More and more  of the superstars we see are getting lighter skin and we don’t think nothing of it. It is common in the “movie” world to bleach your skin. We have grown in a society thinking that one group/ race is dominant. The closer you get to that skin type the more you are praised, this picture illustrates the shades of black woman. We come in all different shades but we are beautiful in the skin we're in.

5 comments:

  1. The issue of colorism becoming normalized in society is extremely prevalent. It is easy to say that the media has adapted to changes in time by having different races in their advertisements and shows, but if they are changing how the race originally looks what is that telling society? By demonstrating that different shades of skin can be beautiful by not being changed was able to effectively challenge colorism in the everyday world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Colorism is a common problem for alot of black folks. I have seen and know people who have been effected by the idea that light skin folks are better than dark skin ones. Its that exact reason that bleaching creams were invented. Your definately right, we are beautiful in the skin we're in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I fully agree with you 100%. This issue is actually personal to me. I have an aunt who bleached her skin because she was told countless times she wasn't pretty enough.If she wasn't pretty enough then she would never get married or have children. its said that's what society has come to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with what you have posted. The color of your skin should not be an issue when more than one person is fighting for the same thing. Colorism is the same as discrimination and it is something that makes people look bad when being used. We have all been granted the same rights and everything should be fair.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this photo and the topic because I can relate to this so much. It is so true that colorism has become a major problem not only in just the media but in personal lives as well. I can't even count how many times I've heard things about light skinned being better than dark skinned or dark skinned people are not as cute as lighter skinned individuals. It makes me so mad sometimes especially due to the fact that I am a dark skinned person myself because who said dark skinned people aren't as good looking as light skinned people when in fact I am a beautiful dark skinned person. At the end of the day no is better than the other whether its skin color, class, or sexual orientation. All shades of color are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete