Thursday, November 29, 2012

Women At Work

This is a photo of my mother working and fixing my car; yes i said my mother. I know exactly what your thinking; why is your mom working on your car. This is a stereotypical image of women because the automotive field is typically dominated by men. Men definatley have hegemony over women in the mechanical field. If women work on cars there considered a lesbian or a tomboy; but my mother is neither. The automotive field defines masculinity and women are often not masculine, but feminine. I choose this picture because I am interested in cars and when I walk into a machanic shop all the mechanics are men. I also choose this because it breaks the norm and I have only heard of a couple instances throughout my life were women work on their own cars or have knowledege about cars. I want to know if women just don't have interest the automotive field or if they choose not to becuase they will get made fun of or criticized.

4 comments:

  1. Usually people are surprised to find women doing masculine things. But when I seen it I thought of my step mom because she also works on cars and the stereotype that women get from working on cars actually was true for my step mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this photo, it's so true that woman are usually characterized to be this womanly figure when really we can do a lot of the same things men can do. ex. fix cars! I love this picture, because I like to take apart that stereotype with my photo where it shows that woman can hunt too. good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also love this picture. In society, women are supposed to be at home, cooking, cleaning and taking care of their children, while men are supposed to be out working on cars and doing more masculine jobs. Even when women are out in the workplace they are supposed to do more feminine jobs. It was good to see the roles switched and see a women outside of the gender roles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice photo! It is a great topic obviously due to the ridiculous gender roles that people place on all of us, but it is great to see that there are more women who know how to fix cars. It should be a basic skill for everyone, but it is rarely ever taught to young girls while they're at home but it is taught very often to boys by their family while they're young. Nice job on this.

    ReplyDelete