Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Mom, Mommy or Mother-They ALL stand for LOVE

  Natasha Frank & Vanessa King


Our hope is that the photos will be empowering to single mothers and show society that single mothers are strong, loving and independent.



Elizabeth & Ian 





 
Kelsey & Kylah




Inspiration

While trying to decide what we wanted to do for our photo project, we knew that we wanted to focus on a topic that has been put on the "back burner". We also wanted to make sure our photos were going to put an emphasis on why this topic is important. The topic we decided to present in our series of photographs is single mothers. In our society, single mom's are shamed. They are also stereotypically represented as not loving, dependent on the government and other people, and generally seen as "bad" people. With these photos, we wanted to dispel those stereotypes which is why we chose to have a heart in the background and the words "successful" and "powerful". Each photo represents loving mothers of different races which clearly shows that no matter the race, each mother can be loving, independent, successful, powerful woman.





























7 comments:

  1. I like the message of your post, and can definitely relate. My parents had me at a young age and split, while I was alternately raised by a single mom, and single dad. They were both equally loving, had jobs, went to college, and are very good people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good pictures. I can realate to this as well. I do believe however that being a single mother is much more common and accepted these days. This is still a great message though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can also relate to this. Throughout my childhood and adolescent years, it was just me and my mom. Raising me on her own is what made her the strong, independent women she is today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being a single mother is often looked down upon, when in reality it is very common. This picture is really good! My sister is a single mother and many people make assumptions on her parenting because of that. There are so many single mothers and they don't often receive the credit they deserve.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with everyone, my feelings towards most single mothers, is that they are very strong and loving. This really make me think or sexism though becuase when it is a single father he is looked at as amazing, what woman wouldn't want him. Yet when most think of a single mother it is that she is that she is less of a woman but they never wonder where is the father. It still takes two to tango!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are really good pictures. And I agree. Single mothers don't always get enough credit for everything they do. My dance coach in high school had her daughter at a very young age and she still went to college and now is very successful and owns her own business. It always seems like men get all this credit for owning businesses but in reality, these are the women who should be looked up to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this message that you created because this is a major thing that people need to take another look at with a more positive outlook. Though my father is in my life, I was basically raised by my mother who was single and she did everything she could to make a great life for me and my sister so those negative thoughts on single mothers are just plain wrong. I believe a single mother is very powerful due to the fact that she dedicates her life to taking care of her children while also holding everything else around her together.

    ReplyDelete