Thursday, November 29, 2012

Seesaw Couples

This picture challenges the stereotype that in heterosexual marriages, women are the main caregivers of the children and men are the breadwinners. According to Hanna Rosin's book, "The End of Men", many professional couples are becoming “seesaw couples,” in which each spouse alters their role in response to family circumstances. These new forms of couples now try to make more practical decisions about who gets to be the wage earner at any given time. This effectively means that the term “breadwinner” will no longer be exclusively associated with the “man.” The most beneficial part of this arrangement is that theoretically, no one feels forced to stay in one role. Men don't feel trapped as breadwinners and women don’t feel trapped as homemakers.

6 comments:

  1. I really like the meaning of this photo. Although times have changed and many women work I know some men my age who would think the idea of men doing work around the house is absurd. I also like how you mentioned no one is forced to stay in a role and I wish mored people think like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that this photo challenges the gender roles that men and women are pushed into. It makes me think of my sister and who husband who are new parents. She feels that she is being pushed into the caretaker role simply because she is the mother and society seems to think that she is the most adequate nurturing figure for the baby just because she is a woman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the fact that this photo challenges the "traditional" gender roles where the women take care of the house and kids, and the men work. The man with the baby bottle in his back pocket gives it away that he is the one taking care of the child, while the woman sits on the couch relaxed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The notion of "seesaw couples" is refreshing. The ability to alter roles based on changing circumstances is a much improved approach to the roles couples play.
    I'd like to add that the person in the background is in the most typical male pose. It is great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this is a good stereotype to address. I feel like seesaw couples are showing up more, and more. I think it's a new way to structure a family. Instead of sticking to the stereotype. My parents are more like this. I hope to have a family of my own, and strong marriage like theirs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this blog simply because, I can relate. In the house holds of my family the women run the show and not the men. Majority are happy and most time it is funny. Love this.

    ReplyDelete